A sinking or cracked foundation poses serious threat to your home. Sadly, many homeowners think nothing of the obvious signs of a foundation problem until it is too late, and severe damage has occurred. Rather than risk extreme damage to your home’s foundation, and your wallet, know the signs of a damaged foundation, and when it is time to call foundation repair contractors in Dallas.
What Causes Foundation Problems?
Water is the culprit of many foundation problems. When water settles into the soil underneath the home, settlement and expansion may cause the home to suffer. Waterproofing the basement is one of the best ways to protect the foundation, minimizing the damage water can cause.
Additional causes of foundation trouble include:
– Age of the home
– Foundation wasn’t correctly installed
– Hydrostatic pressure
– Improperly prepared ground
– Improve back filling
Signs of Foundation Trouble
Cracks of various size in the concrete of the foundation, a leaning or sloping home or walls, window and wall separation, misaligned doors/windows, cracks in floors/doors, and cracked bricks are the most common signs of damage to the home’s foundation. If you notice any of the signs above, it is time to reach out to a foundation repair professional.
Costs of Foundation Repair
The cost of foundation repair varies, as many factors determine those rates. Factors that determine the cost of your foundation repair include:
– Ease of access (Foundation location)
– Time of year the job occurs
– Size of the home
– Contractor selected for the job
– Type of foundation repair you choose
Some homeowners spend as little as $250 for foundation repair, while others spend thousands of dollars to complete the job. If you carry homeowner’s insurance, your coverage may help pay a portion of the costs of foundation repair. Read your policy carefully to learn if your coverage can help pay the costs.
Choosing a Foundation Repair Professional
Although many foundation repair companies exist in the area, not all companies provide the service, cost, and professionalism that you crave. Rather than choose a company and hope for the best, compare your options and decide after learning these details. Choose a foundation repair company meeting the following qualities, at a minimum:
– Experienced: An experienced foundation repair company knows the ins and outs of foundation repair, as well as the secrets of the trade. They’ve been around for some time, and they know what it takes to make you happy.
– Good Reputation: What others say about a company is valuable when you’re looking for someone to perform your job. Look for reviews and ask around so that you know exactly what other think of the company.
– License & Insurance: Don’t bother with a company without these two pieces, as they are likely only a waste of time. These things protect you from troubles in the future, as well as a potential stint in court!
– Prices: Don’t assume the most expensive company is the best. A reputable company always charges a fair price for this service.